Minutes from 2/12/09 Meeting of the Parks, Recreation & Trails Committee
Submitted by Lawrie Bolger, Recording Secretary
1. Meeting Opened -- Meeting was called to order at 7:35 p.m. In attendance: Tom Bierl, Lawrie Bolger, Chris Conaway, Bill Haaf, Zeke Hubbard, Lauressa McNemar, Joe Stumpo, Ricki Stumpo.
2. Announcements -- Ricki Stumpo reported that the Sewer Bills for Riverside have a message area that can be utilized for Township news. The next month’s invoice will carry a notice about the Community Earth Day Clean Up, and the following month will run an announcement for the Stream Team Planting Program.
3. Public Comments – There were no public comments.
4. Old Business
a. January Meeting Minutes were approved. Lauresa requested that minutes be sent to her and Susan for inclusion in the next BOS agenda. (Lawrie to do)
b. Town Watch & Police Proposals -- Zeke Hubbard reported that the Board of Supervisors is looking into these proposals.
c. Naming of the 80-acre Park & Trail Proposal – PRT’s proposal to name the Park “Roaring Waters” and the trail “Barnard Trail” was not approved by the Supervisors. Lauressa McNemar stated that the BOS felt the naming was premature and should be opened up to residents. Tom Bierl clarified that the purpose for trail naming at this time is for feasibility purposes. Therefore, it was agreed that “Barnard Trail” will be the working name, but that is subject to change. The issue of signage at the Township Parks was raised and discussed: presently there are multiple park signs in separate park locations, all marked as “Pocopson Park”. It was agreed that this is unsuitable for emergency services identification and each separate Park should have a different name.
d. PRT Committee Meeting Dates -- A vote to change the PRT Committee meeting day from the second Tuesday to the second Thursday of the month was taken and was passed. The revised Meeting Calendar for 2009 will be sent to the BOS for final approval and is as follows: 3/12, 4/9, 5/14, 6/11, 7/9, 8/13, 9/10, 10/8, 11/12, 12/10.
5. New Business
a. Trails – signage discussion was tabled until next meeting when Sandy Retzlaff is present. Mileage markers could be an Eagle Scout project; Lauressa will ask Gary Summers to contact Zeke about possible PRT projects.
b. Tennis Court Usage – a special request for a women’s USTA tennis group to use both courts on 5 (five) Thursdays in the summer was approved, pending approval of Park Rules by BOS and approval of permit application. Ricki to determine if USTA is a for-profit organization.
c. Baseball Fields Usage – URA usage request approved.
d. Website Updates – updates for the website were requested and should be submitted through Peggy Lennon and approved by the BOS. Bill & Ricki to review website and make recommendations.
The subject of establishing a ListServ for the Township was discussed; it would enable residents to subscribe to an email service for township updates and announcements. Lawrie to investigate service, cost and implementation needs and report to BOS.
6. Sub-Committee Reports
a. Trails – Tom Bierl advised that all trail easements for the 80-acre county property should be requested to be done at the same time. Lauressa needs trails marked on her map. Meeting set for 3/4 @ 1p.m. with Chris, Tom, Zeke & Lauressa. ADA requirements were questioned and it was agreed that the County Grant would be double-checked to determine if we are in ADA compliance. The topic of trail bridges was raised and Lauressa advised that Jim Hatfied, Township Engineer, is available for consultation. Lauressa will get Board approval for PRT to meet with him to review existing bridge designs and will look for Overlook Circle plans.
b. Stream Team – Bill Haaf reported that the letter to approximately 80 Stream Property Homeowners about the Tree Planting Program has been mailed. Planting date at Red Bridge is 5/23 (rain date 5/24). Bill requested an additional $130 to purchase tree guards (minimum order is $330; there is $200 remaining from the Grant). Stream Team meeting is set for 3/11 @ 7 p.m.
c. Founder’s Day – Ricki Stumpo announced that the date is set for Sunday, 9/20 from 12 – 4 p.m. Next planning meeting is 2/25.
d. CleanWays – Lawrie Bolger reported that Saturday, April 18 is the Second Annual Pocopson Community Earth Day Clean Up. Email notification will be sent to Homeowners’ Associations, Scouting Groups and last year’s participants. Clean up sites will be assigned as groups register. Individuals registering will be assigned to the parks.
7. Meeting was adjourned at 9:42 p.m.