Pocopson Township Formed from Three Townships

Pocopson Township was formed from Pennsbury, East Marlborough, and West Bradford Township land.  In late 1848, 28 male residents from these Townships, along with Newlin, signed a petition to the Court of Quarter Sessions.  Eusebius Barnard, Pocopson’’s future Underground Railroad leader, was among these men.

Pocaupsing

The Indian name for Pocopson Creek was POCAUPSING, which meant roaring waters.

Source: A History of Pocopson Township by Alta Baily Bittle

Low Population Density

At 255 persons per square mile, the population density of Pocopson is lower than all adjacent townships except Newlin.

Source: 2010 Census; US Census Bureau.

Lenape Forge

Lenape Forged Products, Inc. occupies the building originally built by the West Chester Street Railway to run electric trolleys from West Chester to Kennett Square.

Source: A History of Pocopson Township by Alta Baily Bittle

Barnard House

In the early 1800’s, Pocopson’s historic landmark, the Eusebius Barnard House served as a station for escaping slaves in the Underground Railway movement.

Source: A History of Pocopson Township by Alta Baily Bittle

The Battle of Brandywine

The area of Pocopson Township played a central role in The Battle of Brandywine on September 11, 1777.  See animated map of British troop movements.

Source: Brandywine Battlefield Preservation Plan 2013: Chester County Planning Commission