Did you know…?

  • Pocopson Township Formed from Three Townships

    Pocopson Township was formed from Pennsbury, East Marlborough, and West Bradford Township land.  In late 1848, 28 male residents from these Townships, along with Newlin, signed a petition to the Court of Quarter Sessions.  Eusebius Barnard, Pocopson’’s future Underground Railroad leader, was among these men.

  • Pocaupsing

    The Indian name for Pocopson Creek was POCAUPSING, which meant roaring waters.

    Source: A History of Pocopson Township by Alta Baily Bittle
  • Low Population Density

    At 255 persons per square mile, the population density of Pocopson is lower than all adjacent townships except Newlin.

    Source: 2010 Census; US Census Bureau.

  • Pocopson train station

    In 1906, the Bell Telephone Company installed one of the first pay telephone stations at the Pocopson train station.

    Source: A History of Pocopson Township by Alta Baily Bittle
  • Industrial land

    Less than 1% of Pocopson Township (13 acres) is zoned for industrial use.

    Source: 2014 Pocopson Township Comprehensive Plan
  • Public parks and recreation

    932 acres (17% of Pocopson Township) is restricted to open space and parks. Public park and recreation areas include Pocopson Park (Locust Grove and Corrine Roads, N. Wawaset and Corrine Roads), Pocopson Creek Park (1440 Lenape Road, next to the Public Works Garage), and Wawaset Road Park (behind the Barnard House and opposite Pocopson Home).

    Source: 2014 Pocopson Township Comprehensive Plan
  • Institutional land

    Pocopson has modest institutional land use. 296 acres (6% of the Township) are zoned institutional.

    Source: 2014 Pocopson Township Comprehensive Plan
  • Lenape Forge

    Lenape Forged Products, Inc. occupies the building originally built by the West Chester Street Railway to run electric trolleys from West Chester to Kennett Square.

    Source: A History of Pocopson Township by Alta Baily Bittle
  • Agricultural land

    Agricultural land use represents 25% of Pocopson Township. That’s 1,356 acres of farmland.

    Source: 2014 Pocopson Township Comprehensive Plan
  • Residential land use

    Single Family residential land use represents 36% of Pocopson Township. That’s 1,936 acres.

    Source: 2014 Pocopson Township Comprehensive Plan
  • Barnard House

    In the early 1800’s, Pocopson’s historic landmark, the Eusebius Barnard House served as a station for escaping slaves in the Underground Railway movement.

    Source: A History of Pocopson Township by Alta Baily Bittle
  • Median Household Income

    The Median Household Income in Pocopson Township is $145,089 which is higher than all of the neighboring townships except for Birmingham Township. The median Household Income for Chester County is $84,759

    Source: US Census Bureau; American Community Survey, 2006-2010 Averages
  • Population

    Pocopson Township’s population is 3,392 as of 2010.*

    Source: 2010 Census; US Census Bureau. *Not including the residents of Pocopson Home or the Chester County Prison
  • Road Info

    Pocopson Township has an area of 8.4 square miles. Within the township there is a total of 41.9 miles of roadway. 13 miles of that are owned and maintained by PennDOT, with the remainder being owned and maintained by Pocopson Township.

    Source: 2014 Pocopson Township Comprehensive Plan
  • The Battle of Brandywine

    The area of Pocopson Township played a central role in The Battle of Brandywine on September 11, 1777.  See animated map of British troop movements.

    Source: Brandywine Battlefield Preservation Plan 2013: Chester County Planning Commission