Section 174-20 of the Township Code outlines residential recycling requirements in Pocopson. Residents must separate recyclable materials from other waste. Recyclables include:
- metal food and beverage containers and empty aerosol cans
- clear and colored glass
- plastics #1-3, 5 and 7 (look for the number inside the triangular recycling symbol on the bottom of the container)
- newspapers, magazines, and mixed paper
- cardboard, boxboard (such as cereal boxes), clean pizza boxes
- Items that are not accepted include plastic supermarket bags, Styrofoam, and cardboard containers with a waxy coating (such as refrigerated orange juice cartons).
A detailed list of recyclcables is available here.
All trash haulers operating in Pocopson are required to collect these recyclable items, which can be co-mingled in one recycling container placed curbside for pickup.
In addition, area residents may drop off recyclables behind the Township Building at 740 Denton Hollow Road, where five large metal bins are emptied weekly by SECCRA. Plastic bags jam the sorting equipment at recycling facilities; so if you transport your recyclables in plastic trash bags, please empty the recyclables into the bins, take the used bags home, and either use them again (if they’re in good shape) or put them in the trash. If the bins are full, please return at another time. Do not leave recyclables outside the bins.