When do I need a permit from the Township?

Pocopson Township requires building permits for most construction projects. Permits are required to ensure that all construction activities meet the requirements of the ICC Building Codes.

Examples of projects that require permits include:

  • Alterations that require moving any plumbing drain, vent or water supply pipe, or the addition of electrical or mechanical construction
  • Demolition of any structure
  • Additions to an existing structure
  • Change of use
  • Basement: Alterations that create living space
  • Decks: New construction and replacement of structural elements, guard rails and hand rails
  • HVAC systems: New construction and replacement
  • Swimming Pools: In ground, above ground and any temporary pool over 24 inches deep
  • Accessory structures: Includes sheds, garages, pole barns and greenhouses of 120 sq. ft. or more (< 120 sq. ft. require zoning permit only)
  • Plumbing: New construction and relocation of existing supply, drain, waste and vent lines
  • Electrical: All aspects
  • Doors and Windows: When enlarging openings
  • Retaining walls: 48″ and higher
  • Slabs and Walls (non-retaining)
  • Paver patios
  • Stairs
  • Roofing: All aspects
  • Lawn sprinkler systems
  • Fireplaces
  • Underground Storage Tank: Removal, abandonment, or installation
  • Fire Suppression: Includes hardwired smoke detectors, fire sprinkler system and fire alarm system
  • Grading/Erosion and Sediment Control: When 1,000 square feet or more of earth is disturbed
  • Driveways: New or enlarged (Permit issued by the Township Engineer)
  • Storm Water Management: When changing existing system or creating new impervious coverage (Permit issued by the Township Engineer)
  • Wells and septic systems (Permit issued by Chester County Health Department)
  • Signs: Require zoning permit
  • Fences: Require zoning permit

To download Pocopson Township permit forms, please visit Pocopson Forms and Permits