Act 57 Local Tax Collection for New Homeowners

Act 57 Amending the Local Tax Collection Law

Act 57 allows new homeowner taxpayers who fail to receive a tax notice during their first year of occupancy to apply for a waiver from penalties, fees, and additional costs from the tax collector. In order to qualify, the taxpayer has to (1) attest they did not receive the notice; (2) provide proof of the property’s transfer within the last 12 months; (3) provide a waiver request to the tax collector; and (4) provide payment of the face value of the taxes.  The Pocopson Township Board of Supervisors enacted Resolution 2022-25 implementing Act 57 and providing additional information regarding the waiver. The waiver goes into effect for the 2023 tax year going forward and does not apply for 2022. The State Department of Community and Economic Development created a waiver form for taxpayers to submit to the tax collector.

The waiver request link is: Act 57 of 2022- Request for Waiver of Additional Charges: Real Estate Taxes

When do I need a permit from the Township?

Pocopson Township requires building permits for most construction projects. Permits are required to ensure that all construction activities meet the requirements of the ICC Building Codes. Some projects may also require zoning permits.

Examples of projects that require permits include:

  • Demolition of any structure
  • New construction and additions to an existing structure
  • Bathrooms and Kitchens: Alterations that require moving any plumbing drain, vent or water supply pipe, or the addition of electrical or mechanical construction
  • HVAC systems: New construction and alterations/replacements
  • Basement alterations that create living space
  • Plumbing: New construction and relocation of existing supply, drain, waste and vent lines
  • Electrical: All aspects
  • Doors and Windows: When enlarging openings
  • Re-roofing
  • Fireplaces
  • Decks and patios
  • Generators
  • Fences and walls
  • Swimming Pools: In ground and above ground
  • Underground Storage Tank: Removal or installation
  • Accessory buildings and structures, such as sheds, detached garages, and pole barns
  • Grading/Erosion and Sediment Control: When 1,000 square feet or more of earth is disturbed
  • Driveways: New or enlarged
  • Storm Water Management: When changing existing system or creating new impervious coverage
  • Wells and septic systems (Permit issued by Chester County Health Department)
  • Signs, both permanent and temporary (a permit is not needed for political signs 30 days prior to an election).

Permit applications are available on the Township website ( They may be picked up at the Township Building, or call 610-793-2151 to have the forms faxed or mailed to you.

To download Pocopson Township permit forms, please visit Pocopson Forms and Permits

Is public transportation available in Pocopson?

Bus service in Pocopson Township is very limited. The Southern Chester County Organization on Transportation (SCCOOT) bus route follows Route 52 through Pocopson, but service in the area is noted to be “limited” with only Pocopson Home identified as a stop. SEPTA provides bus service in West Chester, with connections to various destinations. The service runs Monday through Saturday.

An additional bus service available to Pocopson Township residents is Rover, a reservation based, countywide transportation service. The bus operates on weekdays and on a limited basis on weekends. The service focuses on senior citizens, medical assistance card holders, and persons with disabilities. Fares for those riders are partially subsidized. Service to the general public is full fare and based on availability. The service is currently operating approximately 65 shuttles daily throughout Chester County.

An additional transportation option for Pocopson residents is Rainbow Cab, which operates out of West Chester (610) 696-6060. Rainbow Cab participates in the Senior Shared Ride Program, in which seniors pay 15 percent of the regular fare. Advance registration in the program is required, as are reservations.

Useful transportation links

Ride Guide
SEPTA Regional Rail Schedules
Transportation Management Association of Chester County (TMACC)

What materials are recycled in Pocopson Township?

Section 174-20 of the Township Code outlines residential recycling requirements in Pocopson. Residents must separate recyclable materials from other waste. Recyclables include:

  • metal food and beverage containers and empty aerosol cans
  • clear and colored glass
  • plastics #1-3, 5 and 7 (look for the number inside the triangular recycling symbol on the bottom of the container)
  • newspapers, magazines, and mixed paper
  • cardboard, boxboard (such as cereal boxes), clean pizza boxes
  • Items that are not accepted include plastic supermarket bags, Styrofoam, and cardboard containers with a waxy coating (such as refrigerated orange juice cartons).
    A detailed list of recyclables is available here.

All trash haulers operating in Pocopson are required to collect these recyclable items, which can be co-mingled in one recycling container placed curbside for pickup.

In addition, area residents may drop off recyclables behind the Township Building at 740 Denton Hollow Road, where five large metal bins are emptied weekly by SECCRA. Plastic bags jam the sorting equipment at recycling facilities; so if you transport your recyclables in plastic trash bags, please empty the recyclables into the bins, take the used bags home, and either use them again (if they’’re in good shape) or put them in the trash. If the bins are full, please return at another time. Do not leave recyclables outside the bins.

Who handles snow removal?

Pocopson Township is responsible for the maintenance and clearing of snow on Township and State roads. View Snow Removal Procedures.

In some communities, private contractors are hired to remove snow from common areas, sidewalks, etc. Please contact your HOA for more information.

If you live in a new community in which the roads have not yet been dedicated, a private contractor will handle snow removal until such time as the Township accepts dedication of the roads.


How do I register my children for school?

Pocopson Township is part of the Unionville-Chadds Ford School District. View registration information here.

Is there public water and sewer in Pocopson?

Most Township residents have on-site wells. In a few instances, mostly in or near larger housing developments, water is supplied by Aqua of Pennsylvania.

Most homes in Pocopson have on-site septic systems rather than public sewers. The Chester County Health Department’s Owners’ Manual for On-Lot Sewer Systems provides useful information on care and maintenance of your system.

Pocopson Township residents are required to have their septic tanks pumped out at least once every three years. Please provide a copy of the receipt to the Township, showing the date of septic tank cleanout, the amount pumped, and the name of the hauler. Chester County maintains a list of licensed Liquid Waste Pumpers.

Wastewater treatment plants at Riverside and the Preserve are owned by DELCORA. Please call:

  • 610-636-4398 (for 24-hour emergency service)
  • 610-876-5523, x122 (for billing questions)
  • 610-876-5523, x264 (for operations questions)

Who do I call for my electric, gas and cable and Internet services?

Electric and natural gas services are provided by PECO: 1-800-494-4000

Propane gas and solar energy are available from a variety of private companies.

Comcast and Verizon have franchise agreements to provide cable and internet services in Pocopson Township.

Additional vendors you may wish to consider include:

Does Pocopson Township have trash pickup?

It is the responsibility of individual property owners to arrange for their own trash pickup. Residents must hire a private trash hauler who will pick up recyclables and trash at least once a week. The hauler will advise as to the types of recyclables they collect and will provide recycling bins. Trash collectors currently operating in Pocopson Township include:

A. J. Blosenski, Inc.                         610-942-2707

Chas. Blosenski Disposal Co.         610-436-4722 Commercial only

Republic Services                             610-869-2222

Trash Tech (was Penn Container) 610-274-1306

Waste Management                        800-345-7932 Commercial only

Please note that if you live a community with a Homeowners Association, the HOA may have contracted for all homes in the subdivision to be served by a specific hauler. The cost of this service may be included in your HOA dues.

Are there sports leagues in the area?

The Unionville Community Recreation Association (URA) is a volunteer, non‐profit organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for area youths by effectively managing and enhancing recreation programs and facilities. URA serves residents in the Unionville-Chadds Ford School district (Chadds Ford, Newlin, Pennsbury, Pocopson, Birmingham, East Marlborough and West Marlborough townships) as well as outlying areas including West Chester, Kennett and Avon Grove. Current URA Program offerings include Baseball, Softball, Lacrosse (Boys and Girls), Field Hockey, and Basketball (Boys and Girls).

KAU Little League is open to players who reside in both the Unionville-Chadds Ford and Kennett Consolidated School Districts. The Little League Program is designed for players of all skill levels and age groups. Our priority is to develop fundamental baseball skills while demonstrating outstanding sportsmanship.