When do I need a permit from the Township?

Pocopson Township requires building permits for most construction projects. Permits are required to ensure that all construction activities meet the requirements of the ICC Building Codes. Some projects may also require zoning permits.

Examples of projects that require permits include:

  • Demolition of any structure
  • New construction and additions to an existing structure
  • Bathrooms and Kitchens: Alterations that require moving any plumbing drain, vent or water supply pipe, or the addition of electrical or mechanical construction
  • HVAC systems: New construction and alterations/replacements
  • Basement alterations that create living space
  • Plumbing: New construction and relocation of existing supply, drain, waste and vent lines
  • Electrical: All aspects
  • Doors and Windows: When enlarging openings
  • Re-roofing
  • Fireplaces
  • Decks and patios
  • Generators
  • Fences and walls
  • Swimming Pools: In ground and above ground
  • Underground Storage Tank: Removal or installation
  • Accessory buildings and structures, such as sheds, detached garages, and pole barns
  • Grading/Erosion and Sediment Control: When 1,000 square feet or more of earth is disturbed
  • Driveways: New or enlarged
  • Storm Water Management: When changing existing system or creating new impervious coverage
  • Wells and septic systems (Permit issued by Chester County Health Department)
  • Signs, both permanent and temporary (a permit is not needed for political signs 30 days prior to an election).

Permit applications are available on the Township website (pocopson.org). They may be picked up at the Township Building, or call 610-793-2151 to have the forms faxed or mailed to you.

To download Pocopson Township permit forms, please visit Pocopson Forms and Permits

How do I obtain a building permit?

Pocopson Township requires building permits for most construction projects. These permits are required to ensure that all construction activities meet the requirements of the ICC Building Codes required by law.

The Township Building Inspector is in the office on Mondays and Thursdays only, and the Zoning Officer works for Pocopson on as as-needed basis. Please allow at least two weeks for processing of a permit application. If any construction begins before a permit is issued and paid for, the permit fees will be doubled.

A non-refundable fee of $25.00 must be included when a building permit application is submitted. This charge is subtracted from the final permit fee that is due when the permit is picked up.

A building permit application must be signed by the landowner /applicant. If the applicant is NOT the landowner, a written statement indicating that the applicant will act as agent/ representative is required.

PLEASE NOTE: The Township requires two (2) copies of a plot plan showing your setbacks, your construction prints, and the estimated cost of your project. Your application cannot be approved without setback information. For more information, please visit Pocopson Forms and Permits

Do I need a Certificate of Occupancy for the resale of a residential property?

No, Pocopson Township does not require an occupancy inspection for resales.


How often must I pump my on-site septic system?

Who do I call to pump my on-site septic system, and how often should this service be performed?

Most homes in Pocopson have on-site septic systems rather than public sewers. The Chester County Health Department’s Owners’ Manual for On-Lot Sewer Systems provides useful information on care and maintenance of your system.

Pocopson Township residents are required to have their septic tanks pumped out at least once every three years. Please provide a copy of the receipt to the Township, showing the date of septic tank cleanout, the amount pumped, and the name of the hauler. Chester County maintains a list of licensed Liquid Waste Pumpers.