Section 174-20 of the Township Code outlines residential recycling requirements in Pocopson. Residents must separate recyclable materials from other waste.
ITEMS ACCEPTED IN ONE CONTAINER
The following single-stream items are typically collected in one container at your curb:
- Aluminum cans, foil, and pie plates
- Corrugated cardboard and boxboard (cereal boxes, cracker boxes, soda and beer cardboard casing)
- Glass bottles and jars, clear and colored
- Metal cans. including empty aerosol cans
- Mixed paper
- Newspapers and magazines
- Plastic #1-5 and #7 containers
ITEMS NOT ALLOWED
- Caps/lids even if they are plastic and come from recyclables like water bottles, detergent, etc.
- Ceramic cups / plates / flower pots
- Crystal / drinking glasses
- Light bulbs / mirrors / plate glass / window glass
- Metallic wrapping paper
- Oil cans / bottles
- Paint cans
Check with your trash hauler about other items that they may recycle. Please note, recyclables are commodities. Dirty or contaminated, they are worthless. Clean and properly prepared recyclables have value and may be turned into new products.
In addition to curbside recycling, area residents may drop off recyclables behind the Township Building at 740 Denton Hollow Road, where five large metal bins are emptied weekly by SECCRA. Plastic bags jam the sorting equipment at recycling facilities; so if you transport your recyclables in plastic trash bags, please empty the recyclables into the bins, take the used bags home, and either use them again (if they’re in good shape) or put them in the trash. If the bins are full, please return at another time. Do not leave recyclables outside the bins.
Along with Chester County and other municipalities, Pocopson Township sponsors five annual Household Hazardous Waste collections events. These drop-off events are open to Chester County residents (no commercial drop-offs) and proof of residency may be required. Electronic items are not accepted. Additional information is available here.